Sunday, October 19, 2008

Daddy Issues

A few years ago, my best friend told me I needed to stop trusting people to be who I want them to be. Instead, I should trust them to be who they are. If I know that a man is a liar, then I should trust that he will continue to be a liar, because it is his nature. She's crazy, but I think that was one of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard.

I know that I can't change anyone. I've never been the type of woman who likes to "fix" people. I do have high expectations of people in general though, and I want them to do what's right (what's right in my opinion). Last week, I was at work and had a random thought as I was walking down the hall. My thought: There are people who would love to have a daughter like me (and they've told me so), yet my own father won't talk to me. He talks when I call him on his birthday or Christmas, but he hasn't picked up the phone to call me in almost 6 years. He didn't call me when his parents died. He didn't talk to me at their funerals. He didn't even talk to me at my graduation. He didn't say, "I'm proud of you." He didn't say, "Congratulations." Even random strangers who saw me after graduation at the restaurant with my cap on congratulated me. I have no idea why I thought of this at work.

I have no idea why he doesn't talk to me.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home