Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Pursuit of HappYness

Yesterday, I saw the movie about Chris Gardner as portrayed by Will Smith. During his narration, he mentioned the Declaration of Independence and how Thomas Jefferson included the phrase, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Happiness is not guaranteed, but we, as humans, are always seeking (pursuing, chasing) it. We try to obtain happiness by making more money, using drugs, seeking fame, being promiscuous, and so much more. All we really want is to be loved and to be happy.

When I grow up I want to be happy. I want to be loved. I want to be a wife. I want to be a mother. I want to be a productive member of society. I want to be a blessing to others. I want to make a positive impact on everyone I meet. I want to be used by God so that other people see him in me and they are drawn to him.

The past few months have been challenging for me, and I'm still growing. I'm expecting great things from myself, and I will not be disappointed. Last week, I came across a scripture that really stood out to me. I reread it and then looked at the chapter and verse so I could go back to it later. It turns out that it was the same numbers as my birthday and it's also the book with my name. I sat there in amazement thinking about how I really needed that message and God directed me to it at the right time.

"...Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women." Luke 1:28

Last week, I thought about a poem I learned way back in 3rd grade, called "Don't Quit". I still remember most of it. I will break my tradition and end with a poem instead of a song tonight.

When things go wrong
as they sometimes will
When the road you're trudging
seems all uphill
When the funds are low,
and the debts are high
When you want to smile,
but you have to sigh
When cares are pressing down a bit
rest if you must,
but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns
as every one of us sometimes learns.
Many a failure it turns about,
when he might have won had he stuck it out
Don't give up though the pace seems slow
You might succeed with another blow.

(I forgot this part)
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
it's when things seem worse that you must not quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home