Monday, March 13, 2006

Cross My Mind

Why is it that when you say you're finished with someone, you get all kinds of reminders of that person? You see their name. You hear "the song" or see "the movie" that belonged to the two of you. You see pictures of the two of you. You are copied on emails from mutual friends and you see that person's name too...and they are online at the same time as you. Your friends constantly ask what happened, because you haven't given them any details yet.
You decide to move on, but there are all these reminders of that special person who could have been the one, maybe. Actually, you didn't have enough time to come to that conclusion, but you could see real potential.
I know that it's over. I'm not in denial. I'm not making any effort to try to salvage or revive the little spark that we had. I tried and failed. I just want to know why I keep getting these reminders when least expected. He does not have a popular name by any means, but I keep seeing it.
A few examples:
1. The night I explained the situation to Hakimu, we passed by a sign on the side of the freeway with his name. I didn't say anything to him. I just thought it was crazy that I saw that name as I was talking.
2. The new major league soccer team decided to change it's name after protests from the community. His name was on the list of potential new team names. I could not believe my ears as I watched the news that night. Thankfully, they chose another name.
3. I needed new brakes for my car. I did an internet search for repair shops, and the first listing was a company with his name.
Why does he keep running (actually he's being pushed) across my mind? I don't know.
In the words of a sometimes wise man (Ishmael),
"Next."


You just running cross my mind [3x]
I was just thinking about you, wondering what you doing I mean what you've been up to
I know its wrong feeling this strong let me take a second minute I will think this thing through
I was just thinking about you, wondering what you doing I mean what you've been up to
I know its wrong feeling this strong let me take a second minute I will think this thing through
Remember all the moments for two, how we used to
Oooh yeah
But the reality honestly...you were never good for me and I was never good for you.
I just remember what we used to do....
-Jill Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home